Pramila Desai is the great-grand-daughter of Shriram Jatar and granddaughter of Balasaheb Jatar, the son of Shriram Jatar who passed away early, from T.B., leaving behind his daughter Kumud Borgankar (nee Jatar) and widow Ramabai Jatar. Pramila is one of Kumud’s four daughters and presently lives in the USA.
The following write-up and photos have been contributed by Ranjan Desai, Pramila Desai’s son.
Pramila Desai nee Borgaonkar is the oldest daughter of Shankar Rao Borgaonkar and Kumudini Borgaonkar (nee Jatar) and the grand-daughter of Bala Saheb Jatar and Ramabai Jatar nee Khandekar (also called fondly as Dudhai).
Nitya, the daughter of Prasad and Nandini Gudi and the grand-daughter of Sulabha Gudi (nee Inamdar) married Aditya in a lavish ceremony at Belgaon’s Fairfield Marriott. Nitya has a brother, Amogh, who lives in the US.
A Sangeet programme took place on the 25th of June 2019. The wedding was on the next day, the 26th of June, 2019. The reception was on the 29th of June at the Sheraton in Pune.
Madhav Mangalmurti (known to family and friends as Bhaiyya) celebrated his 80th birthday at PYC club in Pune with family and friends on the 24th of November 2018. He became a part of the clan when he married Anjani. She is the grand-daughter of Abasaheb, and the daughter of Vimal Paranjpye nee Jatar. Abasaheb (Vishnu Shriram Jatar) was the son of Shriram Jatar.
From left to right standing: Madhuri Bhuptakar, Madhav Mangalmurti, Neelima Raddi, Mohini Kirtane, Anjani Mangalmurti, Neelima Bhupatkar, Lata Chinchankar, Vaishali Inamdar, Lalkari Inamdar and Maneesha Jatar. Sitting: Sarala Jatar.
Madhav Keshav Mangalmurti was born on the 4th of May 1938. He completed his MSc in Mathematics in 1958 and joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1961 and had a very successful career. He was posted in Indian missions abroad in several countries and was Ambassador to Cuba, Switzerland and was High Commissioner to South Africa. He retired in 1996.
Madhav Mangalmurti’s father was Justice K T Mangalmurti who had worked with Bapurao Jatar (the eldest son of Shriram Jatar and the elder brother of Abasaheb) in Amrawati. They knew each other well. Here is a link to Shriram Jatar’s family tree.
Here are a series of videos (all made by Niharika Jatar) which show the loved ones talking about their elders. The first one despicts Ranjit Jatar, the son of Brig. R.V. Jatar, Ravi (Nilkanth) Jatar, the son of Maj. Gen. S.C.N Jatar, and Kumud Dudhbhate, the wife of Uday Dudhbhate, the nephew of Bal Borgaonkar. Continue reading “Birthday Speeches”→
On the 21st of January 2018, five cousins celebrated their 85th and 90th years – the descendants of four Jatar brothers, the sons of Shriram Jatar – Kashinath (Bapurao), Rangnath (Balasaheb), Nilkanth (Bhausaheb) and Vishnu (Abasaheb).
This is a photograph of some Jatars, and others who had a female Jatar ancestor. This photograph was taken on the seventy-fifth birthday celebrations. These men are more or less the same age although some are cousins, and others children of cousins. You can check out if you see any resemblance between them!
All of the woman in this photograph are the spouses, and not of Jatar ancestry.
The people standing from left to right are Chandu Jatar, Maj Gen. SCN (Sudhir) Jatar, Bal Borgaokar, Ashok Bhajekar, Brig. Raghunath Jatar and Jayanta Jatar.
The women sitting are Sarla Jatar (nee Purandare), wife of Sudhir Jatar, Manda Borgaokar (nee Purandare), wife of Bal Borgaokar, Sunila Bhajekar (nee Ganorkar) and Nilakshi Jatar (nee Bal), wife of Raghunath Jatar.
1) Chandu Jatar is the son of Babukaka who was the son of Bapurao Jatar, who was the eldest son of Shriram Jatar. Chandu is the same age as Sudhir, because of the age difference between the two brothers – Bapurao and Bhausaheb.
2) Maj. Gen. SCN Jatar is the son of Lt. Col. Sir Nilkanth Shriram Jatar, who was the younger brother of Bapurao.
3) Bal Borgaokar’s mother was a Jatar and her name was Kumudini Jatar, and she was the daughter of Balasaheb (brother to Bapurao and Bhausaheb), son of Shriram Jatar. Kumudini’s husband was Shankarao Borgaokar.
4) Ashok Bhajekar is the son of Indirabai Bhajekar, who was the eldest child of Lt. Col. Sir Nilkanth Shriram Jatar
5) Brig. Raghunath Jatar is the son of Abbasaheb, who was also known as Vishnu Shriram Jatar, another one of Shriram’s sons, and brother to Bapurao, and Bhausaheb.
6) Jayanta (Dattatrya) Jatar, is the son of Appasaheb, who was the son of Bapurao. Due to the fact that Bapurao was many years older than Bhausaheb, Jayanta is the same age as Sudhir. He is married to Sheila Pandit, but she is not in the photograph.
(Photo provided by Sudhir Jatar and written by Nita Jatar Kulkarni)