On the 21st of January the descendants of four Jatar brothers (Kashinath (Bapurao), Rangnath (Balasaheb), Nilkanth (Bhausaheb), and Vishnu (Abasaheb) came together to celebrate their birthday.
The birthday people are Bal Borgaonkar (descendant of Balasaheb), Chandu Jatar (descendant of Bapurao), Brig. R.V. Jatar (descendant of Abasaheb), Maj. Gen. S.C.N. Jatar and his elder sister, Dr. Usha Thakar (descendants of Bhausaheb) who is 90 years old.
Here is a slideshow (photos by Ranjit Jatar) of the birthday boys eating cake. Continue reading “85th and 90th Birthday Party of 5 cousins”
The birthday party took place at Ed Oliver Golf Club, Wilmington, Delaware in the U.S.
Bal Borgaonkar sitting with wife Manda (nee Purandare) with Sonya (their daughter) in the center.
Standing L.R: Wyatt (Sonya’s son), Nisha (Ruma’s daughter), Revathi and Ruma (Bal Borgaonkar’s sister’s daughters), Raj (Bal Borgaonkar’s son), Uday Dudhbhate (Bal Borgaonkar’s sister’s son), Shankar Joshi, Sripad, Tara (Sonya’s daughter), Kumud (Uday’s wife), Rina (Ruma’s daughter), and Evan Borgaonkar (Raj’ s son)
Bal Borgaonkar is the grandson of Balasaheb Jatar, (his daughter Kumudini’s son). Balasaheb died early, and was the second son of Shriram Bhikaji Jatar.
You can read about more about the Borgaonkars here: Bal Borgaonkar’s journey to America, about his sister Achala Rao and father Shankarao and about Borgao.
Bal Borgaonkar is the son of Shankarao Borgaonkar and Smt. Kumudini Borgoankar nee Jatar. Kumudini Jatar Borgaonkar was the daughter of Balasaheb Jatar, the son of Shriram Bhikaji Jatar .
Bal Borgaonkar is the brother of Mrs Achala Rao (nee Borgaonkar)
This is written by Bal Borgaonkar:-
- I was brought up and raised in erstwhile Hyderabad State in pre-partition India. Political changes there made things difficult for me to obtain a good education and pursue a professional career in my chosen field of genetics. Change in my specialization further from plant to human/medical genetics gave me a much wider scope. I do not think I would have been able to write Chromosomal Variation in Man and publish several (nine) editions from 1974/5 to the late 90s (www.wiley.com/borgaonkar) and an ebook in 2011/12 (bookshelf.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov) if I had not migrated.
I obtained a Ph.D. in Genetics from Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK. Secured a faculty position in Grand Forks, North Dakota (1963) after several attempts all over the world. Continue reading “Bal Borgaokar’s Journey to America”
This is a photograph of some Jatars, and others who had a female Jatar ancestor. This photograph was taken on the seventy-fifth birthday celebrations. These men are more or less the same age although some are cousins, and others children of cousins. You can check out if you see any resemblance between them!
All of the woman in this photograph are the spouses, and not of Jatar ancestry.
The people standing from left to right are Chandu Jatar, Maj Gen. SCN (Sudhir) Jatar, Bal Borgaokar, Ashok Bhajekar, Brig. Raghunath Jatar and Jayanta Jatar.
The women sitting are Sarla Jatar (nee Purandare), wife of Sudhir Jatar, Manda Borgaokar (nee Purandare), wife of Bal Borgaokar, Sunila Bhajekar (nee Ganorkar) and Nilakshi Jatar (nee Bal), wife of Raghunath Jatar.
1) Chandu Jatar is the son of Babukaka who was the son of Bapurao Jatar, who was the eldest son of Shriram Jatar. Chandu is the same age as Sudhir, because of the age difference between the two brothers – Bapurao and Bhausaheb.
2) Maj. Gen. SCN Jatar is the son of Lt. Col. Sir Nilkanth Shriram Jatar, who was the younger brother of Bapurao.
3) Bal Borgaokar’s mother was a Jatar and her name was Kumudini Jatar, and she was the daughter of Balasaheb (brother to Bapurao and Bhausaheb), son of Shriram Jatar. Kumudini’s husband was Shankarao Borgaokar.
4) Ashok Bhajekar is the son of Indirabai Bhajekar, who was the eldest child of Lt. Col. Sir Nilkanth Shriram Jatar
5) Brig. Raghunath Jatar is the son of Abbasaheb, who was also known as Vishnu Shriram Jatar, another one of Shriram’s sons, and brother to Bapurao, and Bhausaheb.
6) Jayanta (Dattatrya) Jatar, is the son of Appasaheb, who was the son of Bapurao. Due to the fact that Bapurao was many years older than Bhausaheb, Jayanta is the same age as Sudhir. He is married to Sheila Pandit, but she is not in the photograph.
(Photo provided by Sudhir Jatar and written by Nita Jatar Kulkarni)